One curious thing about working in an old shop in the country is that sometimes there's not a big distinction between outside and inside. Animals, especially birds, tend to wander in and out. Some are kind of neat...I had a Screech Owl living in the shop a couple of years ago that used to sit quietly in the corner and wait until I got REALLY close before screeching and scaring the heck out of me. Some I'm not all that excited about...I'm not very fond of the big Black Snakes or the racoons that occasionally move in to the attic.
This year it's a Wren...a Carolina Wren I think...that made it's nest in a coffee can that I had screwed to the wall near a window that I used to keep pencils in. I had seen the Wren flying around the shop for a couple of weeks but didn't realize that she had made a nest until she had already laid 5 eggs...white with brown specks. A couple of weeks ago the eggs hatched and in the last couple of days they've started to get feathers and actually look like birds...here's a picture of the babies.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment