Monday, May 15, 2006

Baby bird demolition derby day!

So this morning the baby Wrens were still in their coffee can when we got to the shop, but they were making an awful lot of noise which made me nervous...there's nothing that will draw a snake quicker then the sound of baby birds. There was nothing we could do about it, though, so Jimmy started working on programming an inkjet printing project and I headed off to arrange to buy a car. I'd been gone about a half hour when Jimmy text-messaged me...the baby birds had decided that today was the day that they were going to fly and they had all bailed out of their can and were crashing around the shop! By the time I got back there were birds everywhere...the 5 babies and their parents (I guess). Every once in a while one would take off, fly for a couple of feet, and crash into something...we didn't think there was any hope for them.

After a couple of hours, though, they started to get the hang of this flying business and eventually they all flew out the shop door. They came and went through the afternoon but by the end of the day it looks like they are gone for good. It was really neat to watch them go from eggs to aviators...and if the shop survives another hurricane season it will be interesting to see if they nest there again next year.










a






Taking a rest (click to see three in one picture)

No comments: