Wednesday, December 29, 2004

one of my favorite things

My mother-in-law had a small toolbox in her utility room full of tools...a couple of screwdrivers, a tape measure, a small claw hammer, a few cheap wrenches, that sort of thing. Even though I had always been interested in tools I never checked out the contents of the toolbox very carefully...figured it was just the usual household stuff.

After she passed away her home was sold and the whole family gathered to clean it out. I was the logical one to go through the toolbox, and beneath all the standard tools was an odd looking homemade wrench. It was about 7" long, was sized for a 9/16" bolt, and had been cut out of 3/8" steel with a band saw. The head was at an odd angle and it had a long, narrow handle. I asked if anyone in the family knew anything about it and all they knew was that she had gotten it from her father, a tool and die maker from Connecticut. No one was particularly interested in the wrench and suggested I just throw it away, but I thought it was neat and decided to take it home.

That's been at least 10 years ago and I still think it's one of the neatest things I own. I think the reason I'm so fascinated by it is that it was obviously made for one particular job, a job where a standard wrench just wouldn't work. Maybe it was made to reach one of the starter bolts on a car he owned, or to tighten a bolt on one of the tools at work. I'll never know exactly what it was made for...maybe that's why I like it so much.




My grandfather-in-law's wrench



The inside of the open end is exactly 0.563" and filed smooth...



...but the saw marks were left in the handle where they didn't effect it's useability.

No comments: