Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sam's boat

I've been cutting boat parts and kits with a ShopBot for years but rarely hear much about the finished boats. Sometimes I see pictures of them in the "Launchings" section of WoodenBoat but generally once they're shipped out that's it.

The other day, though, I got an email from a woman from Guam who had bought a Weekend Dinghy kit last Spring and had just finished building her. She had included some pictures of Gypsy and had done such a nice job of building her that I asked if she minded if I put them on my blog. Here's her reply...

" Sure, you may post the pictures. I'm very proud of her. It took me twelve days to build and another week and a half to finish since I could only get one coat of paint on each day. I used Hawaii Fiberglass brand epoxy which works well in the tropics, but even so, Guam has very hot and humid weather and my first few batches cooked in the cup before I could use it.

I built her all by myself, without any help even to turn her over. Luckily, she's small enough to maneuver for a 150 lb.woman.

I can't wait to launch her this weekend. The champagne is ready."


Hope y'all enjoy these pictures as much as I did...she did a great job!








No comments: