It was pretty clear that he (or was it a she?) wasn't a snapping turtle from a distance because he pulled his head and tail completely into his shell prett quickly...snapping turtles can't do that. It looked a lot like a painted turtle but was WAY bigger than any one I'd seen...he was at least 12" long and I'd never seen a painted turtle over 6" long. I figured I had discovered the world's biggest painted turtle...fame and fortune were just around the corner!
Some research on the internet started to make me realize that it probably wasn't a painted turtle...it was just too big. The records showed them growing to 7.2". Now I could imagine maybe finding one 8" long...that's believable... but almost 13" long was just too unlikely. My neighbor that works for the Virginia Institute for Marine Sciences (VIMS) guessed that it was most likely a Cooter, maybe a Northern Red-Bellied Cooter. It turns out that Cooters grow much bigger than the one I found so my hopes for the Nobel Prize for big turtles were dashed, but it was still pretty neat to see.

The angle of this picture is deceiving...the turtle was almost 13" long and 8" wide.

My friend Robert's size 11 shoe for comparison.

No comments:
Post a Comment